So I ran into a nice little problem today... I've tried to write all the tools thus far using python API, for the reason that it makes distribution of the tools easier with no recompiling required as newer versions of Maya come out. I started writing a deformer and quickly realised that vertex iteration in python API is slow!!! Probably about 10 times slower than in C++... so I rewrote the plugin in C and it worked like a charm... kinda sucks that this is the case, but I guess I'll just need distribute some tools in a compiled .mll format.
I'll try and get some stuff up on the blog, just got back into work this week, so things are a bit slow... Also, I'm working on more rig stuff, so its not as pretty to put up on the blog :(
Here's a sticky post of my reel - look in the previous posts for the full posting: Rigging Reel