2010 Reel

Here's a sticky post of my reel - look in the previous posts for the full posting: Rigging Reel

Judd Simantov 2010 Reel from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Animation Work

Animation Reel - Judd Simantov from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Personal XNA game project

Isis Personal Game Project from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thoughts...

I'm about to head off and read a bit before sleeping... I just finished animating and sculpting a little and something quite profound hit me. Its the idea of arbitrary decisions. In any medium, be it sculpting, drawing, animation or cinematography, arbitrary decisions can be your worst enemy or best friend. To explain this, let me give you an example... when you pick up a book and start reading, if you encounter a word that is not in your vocab, most people just skip over it and ignore the sentence... these people were just given the perfect opportunity to learn a new word and they completely ignored it. With reading there is no resulting tangible piece that we call our art...art that is defined by a series of arbitrary decisions. However, when you sculpt, the minute you place a piece of clay down, or scrape a piece off, it should be with purpose... if you find yourself defining a form arbitrarily because you are unsure about what that form really looks like, that's your word that isn't in your vocab and you can either look up the word in the dictionary (reference some anatomy) or just make some random decision. Obviously there is a certain level of discovery and exploration depending on the medium, but even exploration can have purpose and intent. If I feel like placing a camera in a few different spots to see which works, I should still have a good idea of what I'm trying to say in this scene and then explore some different options.

Obviously if you have to look things up every time you're unsure about something, you'll probably never get anything finished, but I think its a good place to strive to get to and it will encourage a certain hunger for knowledge and growth.

I'm sure nobody is going to read this, but if you do.... hope it was somewhat interesting! :)

later!

3 comments:

Andy Phillips said...

Hey Judd

I agree with you on this. I have the tendancy to research too deeply into the reasons for and against making these kind of decisions. Whether they be purely asthetical, I find it difficult not to see the potential pitfalls further down the line. So it's a fine balance of not being overly critical of everything. That's the hard part. Unfortunetly I am a perfectionist.

Look, someone read your late night ramble :)

judd said...

lol... thanks Andy! At least I know someone is reading it :)

Divine Rapture said...

yes. you have yet another person who read your late night ramble. i agree that people are being given the opportunity to explore and yet they lose out on it when they dont