2010 Reel

Here's a sticky post of my reel - look in the previous posts for the full posting: Rigging Reel

Judd Simantov 2010 Reel from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Animation Work

Animation Reel - Judd Simantov from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Personal XNA game project

Isis Personal Game Project from Judd Simantov on Vimeo.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Playblast...Really?!

I gotta admit, I feel kinda dumb for never discovering this before, but I figured maybe I'm only somewhat dumb and that other people might have encountered this before, so I decided to post it anyway.... plus I haven't updated my blog in a while :(

Alright, so I'm animating some stuff and playblasting to fcheck... the image sequence loads really quickly and plays back at 24fps. Now, a few days later I decide to do some test renders... I change my image format to tga, tiff or jpg (depending on what I wanna do). I render out a sequence, save my scene and enjoy how awesome renders look. A day later I reopen my scene, make some animation changes and playblast... The image sequence takes FOREVER to cache in fcheck. Obviously once it caches it plays back at 24fps, but I gotta wait again for it to cache. I dont get it.... this stuff loaded fine a few days ago.... okay, so what changed?!! I set my render globals to tga's! Yes, render globals... not playblast globals :) I had no idea this affected your playblast format. Anyway... I thought okay, I'll change it to jpgs... they have to be quick... but nope, no luck. So obviously I went back to default which is .iff's. That was it!

So after all of that, the bottom line is.... set your image format in your render globals to .IFF when playblasting!

If this is common knowledge, please let me know so I can delete this post before someone from Naughty Dog reads this and decides maybe I shouldn't be solving technical problems :) ..hehehe

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

sneak peak of a work in progress




Hey! I was watching the golden globes the other night with my cute couch potato wife and after watching Spielberg give a really great speech, I figured he'd be a great person to do a caricature of... especially with me working on a short film and all :) I've kept this small cause its still a work in progress and certain parts are still very loose... all comments are welcome!

On a side note, I've been a little distracted from the short the last few days, but I should be jumping back into it in full force pretty soon and will have some stuff posted...

cheers!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Maya API ... Python .vs C

So I ran into a nice little problem today... I've tried to write all the tools thus far using python API, for the reason that it makes distribution of the tools easier with no recompiling required as newer versions of Maya come out. I started writing a deformer and quickly realised that vertex iteration in python API is slow!!! Probably about 10 times slower than in C++... so I rewrote the plugin in C and it worked like a charm... kinda sucks that this is the case, but I guess I'll just need distribute some tools in a compiled .mll format.

I'll try and get some stuff up on the blog, just got back into work this week, so things are a bit slow... Also, I'm working on more rig stuff, so its not as pretty to put up on the blog :(

Later!

Friday, January 2, 2009

Arm Rig Video Example

video

Disclaimer: None of the weighting/deformations are final. I'm just showing functionality, so the geometry will probably look weird in certain places/poses.

Here's a vid of the arm rig at work ( I know its kinda long, but I havent figured out how to speed things up in iMovie yet)... just to explain it all a little: There are 2 main things going on. One is the stretchy IK arm and the other is a bezier spline based node I wrote that allows you to have bezier curves (just like the graph editor) in the viewport. So for the stretchy IK stuff, its basically taking all the functionality that would be setup with a lot of nodes and transforms and basically turned into one custom API node. The great thing about this, is its really easy to update and not worry about all these connections and nodes, its really fast and its very managable. So some of the things it does is, toggle automatically calculate volume, stretch multiplier, volume multiplier, locking the elbow or knees down, plus a few other custom controls that are more fine level stuff...



The bezier spline node is pretty cool in that you can add more key points to it (I wouldnt do this in the arm and its not demonstrated here), but it functions exactly like a curve would in the graph editor, so for a tail rig that stuff would work great. It basically has a main "key" point and then "tangent" points that come off of that. It then generates a curve that you can attach anything to. This is also a node that computes all this stuff really quickly and keeps things pretty clean.




I had a bunch of this stuff working as C++ plugins and decided to re-write them as python API plugins so that I can distribute this stuff without worrying about OS and version dependencies. I do intend on giving all of this stuff out for free once I'm done with my film.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!




Hey,

Happy New Year! I started on another character... I try to switch it up between tech and art stuff and I was doing a little too much tech stuff, so I decided to get a head start on this guy and just rough out a sculpt in clay. I kept it pretty loose and sketchy, cause I really only need this sculpt as a reference point for how the 2d design will translate into 3d and the finessing will get done on the CG model. Also, I opted to just do the head cause I felt like his body was pretty straight forward... I'll probably do a full body one at a later stage, but for now this will suffice for me to get it started in 3d.